that little special thing

When I tell people that I have twins, they’re surprised. When I tell people that I’m a writer and a photographer, they’re intrigued. When I tell people that I tap dance, they look at me as if I were a totally different person.

I started taking tap dance lessons a few years ago and it’s been making me irrationally happy ever since. It is a place where I feel completely safe. A place where I retreat when words fail me and I haven’t taken out my camera for weeks. A place that puts me back together as an individual when too many people are depending on me. And reminds me of my own strength and ability to venture beyond my comfort zone.

Some call it a hobby. I like to call it my little special thing.

What about you? What is that little thing that no one suspects you to have or do and that makes you feel special? Whether you know how to cook, play an instrument, fly a plane, sketch, sing, speak different languages or moonwalk, please share in the comment section below.

Comments

1. JamieD says

I play video games… and I sew, and I knit, and bake! No one ever expects that particular combination. I think dance could be my retreat, too!

Oh wow! Nice to hear. Learning tap dance has been my dream since I was a child. I´ve found myself from middle-eastern dance, afro, dance hall reggae and several other dance classes but I´m still waiting for the right moment for tap dance. Right now so-called little special thing might be.. studying reading again (thai alphabets) :)

I practice yoga every day…no matter what else is going on in my life. It’s my special thing..and my little secret. It never ceases to make a cloudy day sunny!!!

Well, I’m a mom to identical twins, but that ‘s not my secret geeky thing. I have a room for my crafts: sewing, knitting, things with paper, painting. It may not sound geeky to the wonderfully creative people who read this blog, but to many of my friends in the non-virtual world, it comes as a surprise.

Also. I always take a how-to class. Last semester, Photography. I’ve taken painting, drawing, sock-knitting, sweater design…

i’m such an open book that there probably isn’t much anyone is surprised by as most of my "special little things" are right out there for everyone to see.
    I hope to surprise them someday;)

I like building furniture and other projects. I’ve been taking an evening woodworking class on and off for the last five years or so. The project that I’m most proud of is my son’s crib which I build from solid walnut. I love going to class every week and being able to focus completely on creating something with my hands. These cutting boards are the last thing I’ve completed: http://thenearestfuture.blogspot.com/2009/01/project-cutting-boards.html

I have to agree with Lee-Ann. Right now, my special thing is my blog. It’s so new (just celebrated my 1 month blogoversary) that in a way I find it easier to tell complete strangers about it than it is to tell people I know well. In just one month’s time, I have discovered that I have something to say and am so inspired by my fellow artist/bloggers and folks who stop by and say hello.

I would have to say my special little thing would be the geeky side of me. When I was pregnant with my son, I had to go on maternity leave early due to pre-term contractions, and so I built myself a computer from scratch. And over the past six years I have upgraded certain parts to give me a new and improved running machine. I tell my friends that I know enough to be dangerous.

Wishing you a scent-sational Sunday!

I have loved the sound of acoustic guitars for as long as I can remember. learning to play became my new thing about a month ago. At first, I did not want to tell anyone, because for a hot second, i cared what people thought. then a friend inspired me to follow my heart and do what i love.

so, i did it and I love it and I love him for telling me I inspire him with my dreams.

In addition to being a writer, editor, graphic designer, and a passionate amateur photographer, my special little thing is something I learned from my dad, a radio communications specialist in World War II–an amateur radio operator with my FCC license. I’m a true ham. It’s a cool hobby that I wish more young people would consider–a fun connection with others around the world!

i am a silly kid at heart.. parents give me weird looks when they see me sliding with the kids at the park or climbing trees.. I cant just sit and watch them play! haha

12. kathleen o. says

Oh, I am afellow-tapper. A few years ago, some friends and I took a class. I hadn’t done it since I was a girl, and we had a blast. I still got rhythm…hee hee! We ended up learning a routine and performing in our school’s variety show (we’re all teachers). Needless to say, we were a big hit and surprised a whole lot of kids (and fellow teachers, I am sure)! Other than that, photography is my "little thing" and I also like to design and make jewelry, if and when I have the time.

I don’t tap dance, but it’s always been in my top three things I’d love to learn. Hm. Perhaps you’ve inspired me to take a class… Friends who have known me forever know that I sing (many years in school, college, and after), but people I meet now in "mom" life don’t. I think it’s interesting to ponder that they don’t have any idea about something that’s so much a part of me and my past.

This is officially my first comment here and I’m thrilled to have found this place! My secret passion is my writing. I keep up a pretty active blog, but have been working on a novel for a few years now. Very off and on but it is my heart and soul… about 20,000 words and counting. Still so far to go, however I’m really trying to enjoy the process and not rush it : )

lol – i moonwalk like drew barrymore in charlie’s angels.
    my special little things are:
    kick boxing at the gym
    and
    making stuff

they both make me happy X

I’m like Summer up there, pretty much an open book – but i think occasionally I surprise people with the random combinations of the little things I enjoy. Sewing, building things, cooking, singing, playing the trumpet, photography, and occasionally even painting. Oh and I LOVE to swing dance.

I get the highest eyebrows when I tell people I was a parachute rigger in the Army. Been out since 2001 but it was a great experience, one I draw on more often than you’d expect either in my wonky corporate work world or at home with two daughters. Lately, I’ve been toying with the idea of taking up bellydancing…

18. May says

I just had twins in February, two beautiful fraternal boys. When I tell myself I have twins, I can’t believe it myself half the time. We also have a two year old girl. When I tell people I have twins, that does shock the heck out of them. My special thing though is my love for photography, whenever I can shoot, I am happy… I also love my family.

A few months ago I started kickboxing. At first I didn’t think that it would be for me, but I now love it. The sheer physicalness of it is so releasing and stressing releasing. That and taking photographs. When I am taking pictures I’m in my own little world.