just ask

Do you find it difficult to ask for what you want?  It may be advice, assistance, compassion, guidance, maybe even love. I’m slowly learning the power of asking.

Over the past year I’ve experienced an endless shower of blessings. Many, because I was brave enough to ask. And many of these blessings have been incredibly BIG.

It’s not just the BIG things. Honestly, it’s the everyday things….the little gifts that can turn my world upside down…make me giddy with excitement.

A few weeks ago I was on the hunt for an antique camera.  I stopped by my local camera shop. I was buying a new lens and just when I was about to leave I noticed a collection of antique cameras on display behind the counter.  OH my goodness, it was a fabulous collection.  Anyhow, my mind was spinning.  Could I dare ask to ‘borrow’ one of the cameras?  Just before we wrapped up the sale I went for it.

Oh, wait…. allow me to back track a little.  I had just ‘asked’ for a break on the lens.  And I’m not good at stuff like that.  Not good at it at all! But I asked and guess what…. he gave me $75.00 off the lens, simply because I asked. Anyhow, I took a deep breath and…..

‘what a beautiful collection of cameras!  I don’t suppose you would consider allowing me to borrow one?‘ stammer, stammer….  I started to jabber on about my plans for the camera. He wasn’t overly interested in my story. He was like ‘sure, no problem.’  I was like, ‘really, oh my gosh, thank you so much.  I will take good care of it.’ He was all casual. He had no idea what a gift he had given me.

Big or small, gifts are waiting for us.  Sometimes we just have to ask.

Sarah Ban Breathnach in her beautiful daybook, Simple Abundance writes

‘Ask for what you need and want. Ask to be taught the right questions. Ask to be answered. Ask for the Divine Plan of your life to unfold through joy. Ask politely, Ask with passion. Ask with a grateful heart and you will be heard. Just ask.

What have you asked for and received? Share your gifts with us today……

Comments

1. Anke says

Thank You for this post!!!!! It's so wonderful! And yes, it's hard for me to ask sometimes…but I'm getting braver!!!!!
    Smiles, Anke ;)

oh, what a sweet story, and wonderful picture! thank you for sharing. i am not so good at askingl, in fact i very seldom do ask for anything, i really should try.

There is a lot of power in the asking. Recently I asked a friend to solicit some mentorship from another local photographer she knew. The photographer actually turned me down but I felt so good that I went out on a limb and asked for what I was looking for — and that this new friend was willing to try for me. I'll just keep asking.

Like you I'm not so good at asking either but it does pay off as my tale will show.

My grandfather was presented with a silver pocket watch for perfect attendance at school 1907-1914 and in later years was persuaded to give it to a small local museum.

My father who is now 85 and a keen genealogist has always been a bit cross about the loss of an item with importance to our own family history. So I traced the watch and took a deep breath, explained it's value to our family, and asked if it might be returned. After several weeks of correspondence I received the answer I had hoped for with just one proviso…I must give the watch to my dad on Christmas morning when all the family would be present.

So that it what I did and the delight and suprise on my dad's face made the asking so worthwhile.

5. C Blore says

This photo isn't so much of a tangible thing that i asked for but rather a memory. On a recent trip to the Caribbean I inadvertently discovered that taking pictures of local entertainers (in some cases) was something that required payment.

After being thoroughly embarrassed and chastised on one island I became reluctant to try and capture some of the moments I was witnessing. I was also confused as the protocol seemed to change every island.

When I came across this gentleman I was overcome by how beautiful his face was and I knew that if i didn't at least ask I would truly regret it. So I sucked it up and asked if it was okay to take their picture (it was a trio)…they enthusiastically nodded yes and let me take as many photos as I liked.

They then asked to see the pictures on the back of the camera and seemed tickled with the result…arguing with each other who was the sexiest. I couldn't help but slip them a few dollars, if for nothing else but the wonderful memory.

I learned then, not to be afraid to simply ask…the worst thing that can happen is you hear the answer no.

This is such an encouraging post! Yes, I am very hesitant to ask for things, too. I need to explore why. Your story was familiar to me when the man at the camera store had no idea of the gift he had given you. I wonder if we all give gifts like that to others, having not a clue of it. (-:

Last summer, I asked for an opportunity to photograph in a place where the policy forbade it. It s for a project I am doing, and I brought a presentation of my work to show the park ranger my intentions. (and let him keep the presentation) I asked, he studied my work intently, asked some questions, and then said yes. I am grateful for his answer, and for the photography I was able to do that day. Here is a slideshow of the work:

What kind of antique camera did you borrow from the camera store?

great thoughts. You know, it's been so long since I've asked for something, I honestly cannot remember when the last time was. I do remember, about 25 years ago dealing on a car for my mom to get a great deal on her car. But that's the last time I remember asking for anything.

This is exactly what I need to hear. I too struggle to ask for things–but then again, the worst thing they can say is no, right?? Thank you for this. You have encouraged me to take risks by asking. (Also, check out my blog…this is what the Word says about asking.)

Fantastic post and advice that I really need to live by. I too often let opportunities pass by because I'm afraid to speak up! I have been given modeling jobs because I had the sense to email the creators of certain pieces and tell them how much I adored their work and how I hoped I would be able to wear their stuff one day. It has worked on my than one occasion! :D

What a wonderful post and thank you for the advice! I need to live like that more. I have let opportunities pass me by because I was afraid to speak up. I have had some luck though! There have been designers who work I've admired so I've emailed/contacted them saying how much I love their work and how I would love the opportunity to model it one day. I've gotten modeling jobs by doing that!!! Never be afraid to ask for anything! What's the worst that could happen?

Thank you for a beautiful sentiment! I appreciate the truth in this post – especially that if we don't ask, we won't get the things we want! I'm going to move forward in my day with your story in my mind :)

goodness i love that quote! thank you for sharing it today. i am like you i have SO much trouble asking for anything.
    good for you on asking and receiving!!!

this is so sweet and beautiful! it is the little things sometimes that bring us such joy! i love the camera by the way! i'm always on the lookout for one!

Kim, what a lovely and inspiring post! It serves as a reminder to us all to keep asking, even though the asking may be difficult. Actually, I have recently asked you for computer help and you have been so gracious and accommodating. Thank you! Your help has been a blessing.

15. lorrraine herson-jones says

om goodness! thank you for this post. i think i feel i should find my own way, and forget that people cabn get pleasure from helping someone else. thanks for the reminder.

16. Denise Balyoz says

good for you kim! i heard someone say once, you already have no as an answer…we can't change that unless we ask. so glad you did as I love your image. congrats on the lens. soooo excited for you! :) xxo