We are Beautiful

We are beautiful women who have no idea we are beautiful. We stand in front of the mirror and tear ourselves apart, going over every seeming imperfection, every flaw, every bit of evidence that we are not as we were once so long ago.

This is insanity.

In five years, we will salivate for this skin. In ten years, we will have nothing but respect for this ass. In twenty, we won’t care about any of it–scanning our pictures instead for signs in our eyes that we were present and willing to be honest and real and incredibly brave, no matter what the state of our abs.

We are aging, every one of us, everyday, all the time. This body will not stay.  It will morph and change. It will get weaker, and yes, it will die.  And until that moment, this body will house the very essence of us.  This body will play host to all our hopes and fears, our most true and alive moments.  This body will hold every second of our existence on this planet, and it will remember down to the cells everything that made us laugh and cry.

Today, get out your big camera, your phone or your point and shoot and honor your body.  Your perfection (or lack thereof) is not the point.  What matters is that you turn your gaze on what is holding you together right now.  What matters is that you love and cherish the essence of who you are before it’s too late.

Comments

This is so beautifully said!! I'm going to print it out and keep it as an affirmation and reminder to myself. Thank-you for this gift!

2. Monybean says

Well done! Well done indeed. Thank you for reminding us all we are not alone in the aging process. I think we sometimes forget that. I am learning to celebrate the "flaws" and find beauty in all.

a perfectly beautiful post to start my day with…and remember to hold those truths in my mind everyday. lovely and perfect!

Fantastic post. Doesn't need the photo (although that's fine). The really important thing is those words, winging right to the center of our selves.
    The heart of it for me:
    "scanning our pictures instead for signs in our eyes that we were present and willing to be honest and real and incredibly brave, no matter what the state of our abs"
    I'm old, so I know you're right. But how do you know so much when you're still young?
    Applause.

so, so, so true! the other day at my husbands work the ladies were complaining about all their gray hair and that they shouldn't have this many at the age of 30. to which my husband replied, "i hope you realize every 30 year old woman says that!" if we stopped pretending to be someone we aren't, and embraced our natural beauty, maybe we would all be a bit happier!

Firstly I really like the still especially the close cropping and secondly although I am male and should either be above the pressures of the perfect body image or too dumb to understand I forget which stance the media is peddling this week :-) I always feel very uncomfotable within my own skin and if I am honest I don't know why.

My sister says it's why I love being behind the camera instead of infront, at the end of the day its what you do that counts not what you look like and if all else fails then you should listen to what Regina Spektors says "I have a perfect body because my eyelashes catch my sweat yes they do" :-) how can that not make you happy.

Take care
    John

7. Brenda says

My husband and I had this discussion not long ago. Neither of us like having our photo taken – we're too….old, etc etc etc. After looking at some photos taken about 10 years ago we realized that we looked good at that time and that we will feel the same way in 10 years about images taken now. We made a pact – we'll let each other take more pictures of the other. We're taking more pictures of each other and we're focusing on fun images.

One of my soul sisters shared with site with the rest of us this morning. And what a wonderful way to begin the day!
    Thank you for reminding us that we indeed beautiful. The thing about a photograph is that it catcvhes what you can't hide…the essense of you. It comes through your eyes, in the way you hold yourself, and your energy is captured. We are all beautiful. No matter what time or damage, what pain or experience has placed as far as the showings of time, every wrinkle, every line, every freckle on our face is a map of the life lived. I for one want to ensure my map is shown off, showing every experience, every joy, every experience in my life of a life actually lived shows in my face, my body, and my heart.
    Thanks for reminding me of this today. Keep doing what you do as make an impact on others and the map of your life, your journey, continues to be shared.
    Veronica

I can't tell you how much I needed this. Having just had a birthday (one that has made me sad, frustrated, melancholy and nostalgic) I'm happy to say I've gained a new perspective from reading your post.

A thousand thank yous.

10. Tessa says

Thank you for this post! I needed it this morning … and probably every morning. I'll be getting my camera out tonight!

11. jenifer says

this couldn't have been said better. i think i will print this out and post it where i can be reminded more often to be kind to myself…………thanks, Jen!

12. Natalie says

Thank you so much for this, it made me cry a little because it was so meaningful and beautiful! As a photographer, I rarely ever have my photo taken and I like it that way, but this made me realize that if I can find beauty in everything else in the world, I should be able to find it in myself :)

there's no doubt that you've brought to light what so many of us feel. i live in a place that celebrates youth and will do most anything to achieve it. that's hard to live up to some days. what i've noticed though, many who have achieved this false youth feel the same way. they only see the faults, the places untouched by surgeons. that's a lot of money to spend on happiness that never seems to come. so here we are, reminding each other of our beauty, to change our definition of that word — you can count me in.

Thank you, Jen.

It's so refreshing to read such a positive outlook on our bodies and self. I'm so tired of hearing the other shit.